Friday, July 11, 2008

Photo Tags

Awhile ago I decided to get organized. So I bought a bunch of bins and baskets to corral all our stuff. I sorted, cleaned, and pared down all our stuff for several days, then put it all away in the bins and baskets. Ta-DAAA! I was now organized. . . for about 12 hours anyway. Then. . . my kids woke up and took everything out of the bins and baskets over the course of the next 12 hours. That night I looked around at all my "organized" stuff all over the floor and decided I needed a better system.

I loved the hidden-in-plain-viewness (that's a new word) of the baskets and bins, but that same feature also made it hard to tell what stuff went in which basket or bin. I decided that this confusion was the reason for the blank glazed-eye looks I got from my boys when it was time to put their toys away. (wishful thinking, I know) I also decided that if the bins and baskets were clearly labeled everyone in the house (including my husband) would know were and how to put their OWN stuff away.

Because my boys weren't reading yet, normal written
labels weren't going to work. I also wanted them to be simple and attractive because seriously, I didn't spend a small fortune and many hours scouring every store in town for functional yet attractive bins and baskets just to slap an ugly label on them. My solution was to make some laminated photo tags and attach them to the bins with coordinated gross-grain ribbon. Here's what I did:




First I decided on a black and white picture of each person in the family for all the personal bins and snapped a picture of the toys that were to go in each toy bin. Then I got them made into wallet-size prints( I love Costco's 1 Hour Photo for this because they have the best matte-finish quality for the best price).





Second I took my wallet sized prints to FedEx Kinkos and used their laminating machine. At the self-service laminating machine you can choose from several sizes of laminating plastic sleeves. I found that with just a slight trim to my prints they fit perfectly in the Luggage Label Sleeve. An added bonus of the luggage label was that it came with a hole in the top that I could thread the ribbon through later. I decided to also write the name of the person or item on the back of the picture, just in case the pictures weren't enough. *wink*



Third I threaded the ribbon of my choice through that handy little hole and tied it to the appropriate bin. By the front door I have bins on a shelf for hats, gloves, ect, one for each person in our family and one for guests. I also made tags for the laundry sorter in the boys' room, one for each boy and one for the light clothes.

They are functional, simple, and attractive, perfect for all your labeling needs. These wondrous little tags have also significantly reduced the blank glazed-eye looks I get when it's time to clean up or put things away. They have not eliminated them, but then again, I'm not asking for perfection here just improvement. *wink, wink*



I'd love to know what other labeling ideas any of you might have. What works? What doesn't? Don't be shy . . . I'm always looking for good ideas.

7 comments:

Derick and Becky said...

I TOTALLY know what you mean having the blank tubs and not knowing what is supposed to go where! This is a great idea!

Katie L said...

What a smart idea! How creative too! If my home should ever fall to the hands of unorganized children, I'll be the first to copy you!!! I'll probably need your system by the time baby #3 comes along-hahaha! We keep big toy bins in the boys' closet, and toys and clutter are NOT allowed in my living room. I'm kind of a neat freak nazi-hahaha

I love your picture tags and as I sit and think about them, I really want to make some-hahaha!

Unknown said...

What a creative idea Trachelle!! How did you attatch the ribbon to the bins??? I might have to use your technique in the near future. Do your boys pull em off?

Unknown said...

oh yeah one more thing...I want to start a blog!!! I was wondering if you could show meee how????

curlyq said...

I saw this technique on a show (mom teaching her toddlers to pick up after themselves) and thought it was a great idea. Good for you--I'm sure it was a big project but I hope it will help! Hooray!

marigold said...

This is such a good idea! Thanks for the pictorial!

Kaerlig said...

Hi Trachelle. You are extremely organized. Hey, I want to share a technique that helps me to get my kids to pick up their stuff once they dump in out of those buckets and bins. I tell them to go pick up "only what they want to keep" and that I'll be down to check in an hour or so. They know that when I come down, I am going to take everything that didn't make it back in to the bins and it'll disappear until further notice. It's amazing how fast they can pick up.