Friday, July 18, 2008

Sarcie's Chicken Mexicali




This is my sister's favorite dish that my mom makes, she always requests it for her birthday dinner. It's a wonderful Mexican-inspired casserole with layers of corn tortillas, cheese, and a creamy chicken, black bean, and green chili mixture. A great use for leftover chicken.

Ingredients

Layer 1

  • 12 corn tortillas cut into fourths

Layer 2

Layer 3

  • 1/2 lb Monterey jack cheese, grated
  • 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

  1. Combine all the layer 2 ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Put layer 1(the tortillas) in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
  3. Spread layer 2(chicken mixture) over the tortilla's.
  4. Spread layer 3(cheeses) over the chicken mixture.
  5. Bake at 375* for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving (or it will be runny).

6 comments:

Katie L said...

OOOOH, that looks divine! Mexican/spicy dishes are my absolute favorite! When I first saw the picture, I thought those were mini marshmellows on top-hahaha! I'm so blind!!!

Kathryn said...

This looks and sounds sooo delicious! I think I'm going to have to try it!!

Sarcie said...

OH how cool...my name is in the title!! I made that last week it was yummy!!! I think you changed the recipe..blackbeans...that must be a trachelle touch!!

Kaerlig said...

Thanks for the recipe. I made this. I actually had a similar recipe from aunt Terry, but I made yours and liked it better because it wasn't too liquidy. I'd love to get recipes that are your mom's that she passed on to you guys.

Derick and Becky said...

Can I make this and put it in my freezer? We are now part of a dinner group and I am trying to find good yummy recipes that COULD be put in the freezer if needed for later.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

@Becky

I'm sure it would freeze beautifully before baking. Just make sure it is covered tightly. Did you want to freeze it after baking it? I'm not sure about that. Give it a try and let me know.

So what supper club is this? How does it work? It sounds like a lot of fun!