Toddlers are a rare breed. Mine can make me delighted and frustrated in the same two minute span of time. I love this age. I strongly dislike this age. Are you confused yet? Me too. And it's all because of the toddler stage. John and I are working on growing our third toddler(Tiernan 16 months). We had two there for awhile (Asher was 2 1/2 and Tiernan was 1) and my hat is off to moms of toddler multiples. Since Zander was a toddler we have tried many things and here are a few that work for us:
Preventative measures are sanity savers. Some parents put baby-proof locks on lower kitchen cabinets for safety, I do it for my mental health. In fact, because Tiernan has recently discovered how to open the dishwasher and oven I'm moving beyond baby-proof locks and looking for a steel door with a deadbolt for the kitchen. Or maybe I'll settle for a pressure-mounted baby gate. We'll see, I'm still shopping around. The point is preventing your toddlers from getting into things they shouldn't is more fun than finding them were they shouldn't be.
photo by James Laing Distraction and redirection are the next best thing after preventative measures. Have a basket of special toys for those times when you need to distract and redirect. Give your toddler a toy in one hand lead them to a different area by the other hand. If Tiernan is not in the mood to be distracted my secret weapon is the high chair. I put him in his high chair (with a five-point harness, I love those!) with a little cup of water and his tooth brush and let him go to town brushing his teeth (he loves doing what he sees his older bros do). Timeouts are not affective for ages 1 to about 2 1/2 so distraction and redirection are essential.
Structure and repetition have been known to avert disasters. When I don't eat and sleep fairly regularly I get downright cranky. When someone springs a previously unknown appointment on me 5 minutes before I'm supposed to be there or gives me an assignment that needs to be done right this second with no notice I get a little stressed to say the least. I have found that toddlers aren't any different. They love and need structure and repetition. With Tiernan I started singing Itsy Bitsy Spider to him every time I changed his diaper. This A) distracted him and B) let him know what to expect. He quickly connected the song with the diaper change and it soothed him. Because, honestly, having your private parts cold and exposed can't be very much fun, no wonder kids squirm and sometimes cry while being changed. Reading the same ending story to your toddler(or any young child) can really help with the bedtime routine for the same reasons.
What's that you say? You are not a schedule person? You prefer to go with the flow? Well, my friends so do I. I'm all about flow. I think that the hour and minute hands of the clock are far less important than the order and repetition of the events. Generally. I do find that going to bed, getting up, and eating around the same times everyday are essential for myself and my children. It keeps us happy and agreeable.
Give DO directions instead of DON'T directions. I have found that toddlers generally love to help. So giving them a DO direction (Tiernan, show me how you can climb off the kitchen table) instead of a DON'T direction( Don't climb on the table) is like asking them to help you and they will be much more likely to comply. It's also more positive and if your anything like me you'll be less likely to shout or yell a DO direction than a DON'T direction. It can be a hard bad habit to change so, if you start giving a DON'T direction finish your sentence, than say it again with a DO direction. You'll quickly form a new good habit of giving DO directions.
Lastly don't expect immediate obedience, it is not realistic. But it is frustrating and discouraging. One day I was complaining about Zander's non-compliance ( he was four by the way) and my mom-in-law said to me with great love "But, Trachelle, he is just a baby. He might be four years old but he is still just a babe in his journey here on earth." I stopped short and thought quickly about the average life of a human and how that compared to his four whole years of life so far. I was humbled and grateful to realize that yes, my four-year-old was just a baby and he still had time to learn a few things.
This post is part of . . .





























13 comments:
You stinker,
You made me cry. Thank you for spending soo much time to share your parenting advice. I have learned much from you. Thanks for being a good example, and a great friend.
You know, after having nine kids, I thought I knew a lot when it came to disciplining toddlers. After reading your article, however, I realize I have so much to learn! I love all of these ideas....the toothbrush in the highchair, the distraction toy box, the diaper song. You are amazing and such a good mom, I'll bet! And what a sweet thing you said about your mother-in-law. It's great to have someone in your life with such wisdom! Thanks for a great post! I'm off to gather a toothbrush and plastic cup!
P.S. The picture of your toddler holding the baby...that baby looks VERY new. Was he born at home? Lovely picture.
WONDERFUL! I wonder if I can apply the 'lock down the kitchen' and 'redirect to approved behavior' with my 17 yo???? (I have a love/hate relationship with teens:) Thank you for the advise and (especially) the beautiful photos!!!
I am a BIG fan of positive discipline, in fact its the best thing ever; when I'm frustrated with my kids...I have to stop and think, "Be more positive"...and I can see the difference immediately! You are such a great mom!! :)
@carla
Hmmmm . . . it is uncanny how similar toddlers and teenagers can be eh? Thanks so much for stopping by!
@perry family
Great minds think alike right, Stacy? I'm so glad positive discipline is working well for you.
Great post and i like the pictures you share!
keep posting,
TODDLER SAFETY
Great post!
Thanks Trachelle. My youngest being 4, I forget what it's like to have to lock the house down but I did have to do that with Rainer who got into everything. I have found that instead of telling my kids what they can't do, it's better if I give them choices of what they can do. They love choices like "Do you want to turn off the TV now? or in 5 minutes?" They will pick 5 minutes and I'll get what I want either way.
You are amazing. We missed seeing you after the play date. Next time. Great advice. I'll let you know if I'm patient enough to apply it. ;-)
Love your pictures, girl! You're doing great, as always. Hugs from far-away,
love C
I found your blog through Kristi. It's awesome... very inspirational and helpful! Although you make us mere mortal bloggers feel a little inferior :=) I love the comment from your mom-in-law. That's one I need to keep reminding myself of on a daily basis! Kathleen
Thanks so much for sharing some awesome ideas-my three year old runs me ragged and her little sister isn't too far behind! Sometimes I forget to love them where they are, as little explorers and adventures, instead as adults (because they sure aren't that!) I know I'll be trying the do directions too!
~Gina
(Oh, I found you through Kimba's blog)
I'm defeiently making a metal note on all these great tips. It's soooo true about distraction and redirection. Thanks for all your awesome tips. I'm sure when I have toddlers I'll be calling you everyday to help keep me sane.
Post a Comment