Sunday, January 3, 2010

christmas celebration recap


Christmas Eve we were invited to the Newman's traditional gathering of friends at the Hibbert's home. It was lovely to eat delicious food and reconnect with old friends. Then we headed to Gramnea and Papa Wes' house for our final Nativity reenactment of the season.


Tiernan so very carefully holding the baby Jesus.

I was the narrator, Zander was the Star, Asher was the inn keeper, Gramnea and Papa were Mary and Joseph, and Auntie Emily was the shepherd for our condensed kid-friendly version of the Nativity. I love that about John's parents, they are all about keeping things short for the kidlets.


Zander participating in the favorite tradition of the night: opening one present of new pajamas.



This year Yiayia made matching pajama pants for all of us. Thanks Momma!



Up and raring to go on Christmas morning.



Legos, Legos, Legos!



This is the heirloom quilt my parents gave us for Christmas. Isn't it beautiful? My momma has been working on it for over a year. Lovely handmade goodness.



Zander's new chest to put all his treasures in. On our way home from school a few weeks before Christmas I asked Zander what his favorite color was:

Zander: Why do you want to know? You are going to make me something aren't you? That's why you want to know, right? Cause you are making me something for Christmas.

Me: (shocked and surprised)What? No, I was just curious.

Zander: Well I can't tell you cause it is a secret.

Me: (thinking fast for the best way to deal with this . . . ahhh yes there it is) Well, ok . That's fine. I don't really need to know. You don't have to tell me. (I'm hoping reverse psychology really works)

Zander: (mumbling) Well, it's brown.

Me: (nonchalantly) Huh? What was that?

Zander: My favorite color is brown.

Me: (surprised again) Oh really? Why?

Zander: Cause I like brown. And it's Draesen's favorite color.(my brother)

Me: Oh ok. Cool.

And this is why one should never underestimate a savvy six-year-old. The little stinker has got me figured out. But I did not let that deter me. Oh. No. I. Didn't. I went and found the most gorgeous shade of chocolate brown spray paint and a wooden letter "Z" to gussy up an unfinished wooden chest from Michael's. And by golly, he lurrrved it! Biggest smile eva when he opened that present. And that my friends, is victory! HA!




Candy is always the favorite. Why do I even bother with other stuff? I don't know.



Traditional Newman Christmas Morning Picture. Love that tradition!



We had a yummy breakfast of German pancakes and bacon at Gramnea's after we opened presents at our house.



Christmas Day John's parents hosted a big ham dinner for family and friends. I made Jello Pretzel Salad, Home made Caesar Salad, and the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Pie. Sooo good. It was really perfect in every way. Next on the list? Thank-you notes. Lots of them.

2 comments:

Sarcie said...

Your right... candy is always a hit!! I am glad they liked it!! Your quilt is beautiful!!! looks like you had a great christmas, I sure missed you alot and was thinking about you alot too!!

Derick and Becky said...

Ok this post officially makes me homesick! All the traditions! Hibberts house, peeking around the corner picture, short and sweet nativity...I love it!