Sunday, May 11, 2008

Caramel Apple Oven Pancake


This elegant twist on pancakes makes an excellent addition to a Mother's Day Brunch. Enjoy and Happy Mother's Day!

Ingredients

  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 6 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup thinly sliced apple (1-2 apples)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick spray.
    2. In small pan melt butter and add brown sugar. Cook until sugar melts, about 4 minutes, stir in cinnamon.
    3. Pour into prepared pan. Arrange apple slices evenly on top. set aside.
    4. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add buttermilk and egg and whisk until blended. Stir in melted butter.
    5. Pour over apples covering evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
    6. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
    7. Invert onto serving dish.

    4 comments:

    Amy said...

    Do the apples stay crunchy or do they soften up? I think I might try this! It looks really really yummy. I am im the middle of making mini cupcake things from bakerella.blogspot.com right now (check them out). I hope they turn out like I am imagining them.

    High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

    They soften up if you slice them thinly, (which I do) or you could cut them more thickly and they would stay crunchy I think. Those mini cupcakes are adorable! Let me know how they turn out.

    Katie L said...

    Those look fantastic!!!

    Amy said...

    So I tried them and Dave thinks they taste like graham crackers, which I don't understand (it was the first time both he and I tasted red velvet cake). They are super moist on the inside. Kinda hard to dip in the chocolate (messy at this point in the process). Tasty, depending on the cake/frosting combination you use. Try it sometime if you are really bored!! Mine weren't the prettiest things you've seen!!