Monday, May 12, 2008

Family Moment Monday: Happies and Sads


Happies and Sads is something John and I started doing with our boys about 2 months ago. I got the idea from the Joy School and Values Parenting Website. So what we do is every night after pajamas and teeth-brushing but before a story and prayers we each take a turn telling about the things that made us happy that day and the things that made us sad. It has turned into a wonderful daily ritual for our family and these are the reasons why we have adopted it:

  1. It allows us a forum for reviewing our day and our feelings.
  2. It makes us more grateful for all the little good things that happen throughout the day.
  3. It allows us to acknowledge the things that make us sad in a problem-solving positive environment.
  4. When we pause and reflect each day as a family for just those few minutes our relationships grow stronger.
  5. It makes each member of the family aware of what is happening in the other's life.
  6. We are practicing and teaching our children about listening, sympathy, and compassion.
The best part is that on some days after we have each taken a turn Zander can announce to the whole family, "We didn't have any Sads today! Only Happies!" And you know what? It happens more than I would have thought.

1 comment:

Katie L said...

What a great idea! Yet another idea I'm going to steal from you-hahaha!