Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Daddy Countdown


So on our way home from the airport on Saturday Zander asked if Dad would be sleeping with us that night. I told him that no, Dad was in Seattle for six weeks. "Well, then he is going to sleep with us tomorrow then?" he asked while looking very confused. I then realized that six weeks meant nothing to a five-year-old who dealt strictly with time in terms of today, yesterday, and tomorrow. Then in a moment of wonderful clarity(it happens sometimes)I thought of my sister-in-law's (Amy at Alaska Grown Girl) blog post about her Christmas Countdown paper chain. And Ta-daa! Problem solved. So I explained to Zander that we would make a paper chain with one ring for each day that Daddy was gone. Each night we would cut off one ring and be that much closer to the big homecoming day (June 21st, by the way). So on Sunday afternoon the boys and I got out the scrap-booking paper, tape, and paper trimmer and got busy. Zander and Asher actually got busy making other "art projects" to send to Yia Yia (my mom), but I stayed focused and forty-three paper rings later we had ourselves a dang good-looking chain. The only problem with this project is that before, I was blissfully unaware of how many days six weeks translated into. Forty-three days seems even longer than six weeks(yes, I am aware that that isn't logical, but that's how I feel. So there.) So, I allowed myself a sad moment of silence to mourn the loss of my blissful ignorance. Then I hung the chain up in the playroom and thought about how we were going to out the scissors and slice one ring a day into tiny little shreds eerrrr... ah... I mean cut one ring off each day. *hee hee*

7 comments:

Katie L said...

What a great way for your kids to visualize the how long until daddy gets home! It's a shame that the chain has to start so long though. I hope they have fun with the countdown!!

Melissa said...

wow... I had no idea John was taking off for so long! Love the chain idea and SO excited that you are doing Family Moment Monday :)

curlyq said...

Fun! Makes me think of the gingerbread-man calendars my mom would make for our Christmas countdown!

Unknown said...

Your so smart Trachelle!!! Great Idea, hey Asher looks alot like Zander in that pic, and Zander looks huge

Amy said...

Yeah! Glad we could be of service! I totally understand how 46 days(right?) seems longer than 6 weeks. But, you have already started to count down, having days behind you and that is better than having to be at the very first day! Cute boys! I like Asher's haircut.

Derick and Becky said...

I had to do that when I was student teaching. I NEEDED SOMETHING! It works! It is frustrating at the beginning to see how long you really have, but then watching it get shorter is great! It is especially nice if you forget a day and then get to cut off 2 in one day! I saved all mine from student teaching to use them as a background when I scrapbook it, just a thought!

Anonymous said...

That is brilliant Trachelle!!!! your such an awesome mom, and way to be strong!!!! I started laughing when you said you shred the rings into small little bits!!!! I love YAAAAA