Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Moment Monday: Family Movie Night

We started this fun weekend tradition about 2 months ago and I would have never guessed it would be such a hit. The details: every Saturday while dad's at work we make cookies together and choose a movie for Family Movie Night. If it were up to Zander, Asher, and Tiernan we would be baking cookies twice a day everyday. That's how much they love a) the process of measuring and mixing and b) taste-testing. Or maybe it's a) TASTE-TESTING and b) measuring and mixing. Either way it's in the genes because when I was Asher's age (2-3yrs) my Grandma made me my very own tot-sized apron that said Trachelle-the-Taste-Tester. I have now passed down the apron and love of baking to my boys. Baking the cookies on Saturday has become a beloved tradition in and of itself. Sometimes we rent a movie and sometimes we just pick one from our extensive collection of Bob The Builder and Thomas The Train flicks. Then after baths and jammies are on we pop popping popcorn( an Asherism), spread a big blanket on the floor in our bedroom (that's where the TV is), grab our pillows and favorite blankets, put some of those cookies we made earlier in a bowl and enjoy dinner and a movie as a family. Granted the dinner isn't super healthy, but the first time I tried to get my boys to eat dinner before Family Movie Night they were so excited they could hardly stand it. They were asking so many questions about anything and everything related to Family Movie Night that it was a miracle they were able to chew at all. Not to mention there was so much enthusiastic bouncing in and out of chairs that I was sure our dining room table had magically taken on trampoline-like qualities between lunch and dinner. So John and I decided to skip the dinner time mooom-is-it-time-yets on Saturdays and go straight to Family Movie Night. So for our first Family Movie Night we rented Bee Movie with Jerry Seinfeld and our boys were mesmerized. About twenty minutes into the movie I start wondering why it's so quiet on the floor, because with young kids you know there is always fidgeting, questions, bathroom breaks and the like. Not this time. So I get up to take a look and there are Zander and Asher, sitting completely still(seriously, I mean it), eyes wide-open with tears streaming down their cheeks. Alarmed at the tears, I look for other signs that they are frightened of the movie. Nope, no other signs of fear. Then it hits me. They are so enthralled with watching the movie that they have actually forgotten to blink( I know, can that happen?) and their eyes are literally watering(Yup, it can). Even when I started laughing those two little boys didn't even move. So, suffice it to say, we are serious about our Family Movie Nights and they are here to stay.

10 comments:

Derick and Becky said...

I think it is a great idea because then I could get away with eating cookies for dinner MYSELF! What is that popcorn you buy? I remember it is really yummy and not too buttery.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Shhhh...no one is supposed to know my true motivations for eating cookies for dinner. ;-)


The popcorn is Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop! Butter 94% fat free.

Melissa said...

oh how fun! That is cute :)

Rosemary said...

What a wonderful idea. My brother has a family movie night with his kids too and they love it. I think the regularity is very satisfying to them-- helps to build security, I think.

Katie L said...

What a great tradition! I love it when I find a movie that keeps their attention for 10 minutes, let alone being enthralled to the point of teary eyes-hahah!!! How fun!

Chantelle said...

I think it's a great idea, too! When I was younger, sometimes my siblings and I would ask Mom if we could do a "movie theater night." All that really meant is that we would make paper "tickets" for everyone, charge "admission," (we sat behind metal fold-up chairs) and have our popcorn in paper slips. HAHA! We loved it and so I am not surprised your boys love your own Family Movie Night!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!!! I cannot believe they forgot to blink!! My mouth literally dropped when i read that. I want to laugh out loud, but i'm in the library. That is amazing though!! I would have to agree though that movie night is a very serious thing around here.

Amy said...

I think I might try that with my kids. What time do you start the festivities? I kindof miss Wes being Zanders age, before they know they have friends houses to go to and people to see, things to do, bikes to ride and all that! He still likes to bake with me, which I love, but I think he would love the idea above with the "Theater Night", making the tickets and selling them before the movie. I think I might try it with him. We'll just have to lock up Roxy before hand or I will be yelling at the dog to go away all night!!

Squirt said...

i love that movie. i think it's a keeper and i;m happy that the boys like it! Zander and Asher look so happy!!!! So cute!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

We start the festivities around 6pm. Sometimes a little later.

Let me know how you guys like it.