Thursday, May 15, 2008

Monthly StyleTip: Products I Love

Sometimes when womanhood and motherhood intersect style
and beauty can take a backseat to the demands of being a mom. Honestly when you're sleep-deprived from midnight feedings and every shirt you own is marked with spit-up somethings gotta give and usually the first thing to go is wearing make-up and styling your hair. That's where the Monthly Style Tip comes in. As a licensed hairstylist I've had some experience in the style department and as a mom I've had some experience in the "somethings gotta give" department. So every month I'm sending some of the style tips and tidbits I've picked up, your way. First on the agenda is a list of great multi-use styling products for your hair.


  1. TRI Aerogel Hairspray. Yes, big 80's hair bullet-proof hairspray. Except we are leaving the big 80's hair in the 80's and using this great product for staying power and building texture. My favorite hairspray is Aerogel, I've tried lots of different kinds and I always go back to my first hairspray love. It's great for keeping side bangs to the side, making flipped out hair piecey with no extra weight (just spray and grab ends), adding extra staying power to diffused or naturally curly hair, and extending the life of basically any style. Because how many moms do you know that have time to touch up their do' 2 or 3 times a day? I'm guessing not many.
  2. Redken Hot Sets 22 Thermal Setting Mist. This awesome product is a thermally-activated stiff spray gel(for those that may not know this means that the heat from your tools sets the style). For curling or flat irons, you can spray on dry hair section by section for a super mega hold that never quits. My favorite use for this product is to spray it on damp hair then diffuse it with a blow dryer and diffuser attachment for some shabby chic waves or curls.
  3. Brite Lites. This is my favorite shine spray. It's light and fine-misted so it wont weigh your hair down. It packs a powerful shiny punch for such a light fine-misted spray so you don't have to use a half a bottle to get that healthy hair look. Shine spray is a finishing product which means you mist it over the finished look when your done styling your hair. It can make damaged hair look healthy and healthy hair look polished and amazing.
  4. Iso Bouncy Spray. This lightweight wave and curl reactivator provides memory for natural and textured curls, giving long-lasting support while adding medium hold. I like to spray it all-over damp hair while scrunching then diffuse it with a blow dryer and diffuser attachment. For the best results when diffusing hair to make it curly or wavy I always use the combination of Iso Bouncy spray and Redken Hot Sets Thermal Setting Mist together. It also makes a great volumizing spray, just spray on damp hair at the roots and blow-dry hair upside-down.
  5. Paul Mitchell Extreme Thickening Glue. This awesome gel looks and feels just like Elmer's glue. It is quick-drying and has the best hold ever. It's the only gel that I can put in Zander's hair that is A. is strong enough to hold it up and B. dry before he gets back to doing little boy things that inevitably mess up his hair. It is also the only product that will keep my side bangs to the side all day long. Basically if you want your hair to stay in a specific place this is your product.
So that's the list. The five products I use over and over for styling hair. I hope that they may be helpful to you too

4 comments:

Derick and Becky said...

Where do you buy the hair glue? Derick uses one but by the end of the day if he has run his fingers through his hair or scratched his head if turns into a white powdery looking stuff in his hair.

Amy said...

Yeah, we have the same problem at our house!

curlyq said...

Great product tips, Trachelle! Thanks! I just got side bangs today and they've been constantly falling in my face (the new part doesn't help), so I might just have to try some of your suggestions! Lots o' love!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

You can get all these products at professional salons :-)

I'm telling ya'll that glue is great stuff!