Monday, November 10, 2008

Creating for a Woman's Soul

Photo by wakalani


I remember as a teenage girl wondering what it was that my mama loved so much about sewing and gardening. My mama started her love affair with sewing as a young girl making her own clothes, then our clothes, and now quilting and what was once a hobby is now a great talent. She started gardening as a young mother in Alaska and her vegetables and flowers won her numerous ribbons at the State Fair and even a spot on a local gardening TV show.


photo by chatiryworld

To me as a teenager these two hobbies that became talents meant one thing: a lot of work. It wasn't until I grew more comfortable in my womanhood and more mature that I recognized what sewing and gardening meant to my mama. For her those two things fulfill her inherit need as a woman to create. She is an artist and sewing and gardening are her mediums.


photo by suttonhoo


Over the last several months I've been thinking about this need to create. First I believe that this creative need is a characteristic given to all women by a loving Heavenly Father. For women of child-bearing age it might be called a maternal instinct or being "baby hungry" and it inspires us to create life and bring children into the world. But it does not stop there.


photo by angelrays

In fact it might even get stronger with marriage and children. "Nesting", home managing, and home making can all be propelled by this strong creative need. I think that it is also important for women to have at least one creative medium outside of their everyday home or work demands.


photo by voxphoto


This can be especially true for mothers of young children. Why? Because being a mother to young children can often feel thankless, mundane, and never-ending. The laundry will never be all done, there will always be more dirty dishes and car pooling, the feeding of small bodies is a never-ending task, and generally there is not a lot of recognition or gratitude to be found. Don't get me wrong, I do love my job as a stay-at-home-mom, but let's be real. It stinks sometimes.


photo by bookgrl


So what does that have to do with creating? Well, creating and growing little boys and girls is a long term, eternal kind of task, and sometimes women just need to be able to create something wonderful right now and get immediate satisfaction from the process and the finished project. My dear friend Amy calls these Immediate Satisfaction Projects, and my friends, they can save your life (or at least your sanity). There is something so fulfilling about creating something, it soothes the soul and calms the heart.


My mediums for creating are digital scrap booking, photography and Photoshop Elements, this little blog, baking yummy food, and (gasp!) sewing. I'm not particularly amazing at any of these things, but they sure do fulfill my creative need and fill me up when I'm running on empty. I believe it is essential for women to have some kind of creative medium outside of their home and families because sometimes you just need to do a little something for yourself and what better way to do that then to create something and develope a talent? Creating and developing talents foster self confidence and self worth. What human couldn't use a little more of that?


photo by James Jordan


Of course, I for one, can be a little singleminded sometimes. I'm always working to keep a balance. It's surprisingly easy to put on a movie for my boys so I can write a post or make a layout. I've found that now that I've discovered this great outlet I have to reign myself in because I've got more ideas than I've got priorities for. So I take an hour at night after the boys are asleep and my husband has left for work(he works nights) and refuel with a little creating. It does a soul and body good.

This post is listed at:



What are your creative mediums? How do you keep a balance? Talk to me, friends. I'm listening.


15 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for this post Trachelle! It is so true! That is one of the things I love about Enrichment Night is getting to try new things and discover new talents (not that this can only happen there.) My creative mediums are gengealogy (one that I got from my Mom too), scrapbooking, making leis, photography, and baking (I'm making your bread recipe today).

I have a really hard time balancing it all too. Once I get started I have a hard time stopping! I use the TV as a babysitter too sometimes...well fairly often actually. Otherwise I try to let Seamus be involved in my activities. He has his own camera, his own roll of photo stickers for scrapbooking and he always wants to help me cook. Some of that would not be possible with 3 little kids though.

What kinds of things do you sew? It's a great talent. I'm exceptionally proud that I can sew a straight line...but that's about it.

Hesses Madhouse said...

I am not a crafty sort, or I haven't been, but reading this post makes me want to be. I want to be all these things. Do you really think I can?

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

@kathryn

I'm all about those straight lines! I took some sewing lessons and my mom tried too teach me as a young girl, but I didn't really get into it until I had Zander. I started out making receiving blankets and now I've branched out a bit into making some handmade gifts for Christmas this year(more about those soon). I don't enjoy making clothes at all and maybe later I try quilting.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

@ Julie

Of course you can! I started this blog in March of 2008 and I didn't know anything about blogging. Trial and error, baby! The internet is a really wonderful source for all things creative and crafty.

There are tons of blogs out there with lots of easy beginner project tutorials and patterns and most of them are free. Check out my sidebar under Good Reading Material for some links to some other great blogs.

Another thing to remember is that creating encompasses pretty much anything you can create yourself. It doesn't have to be "crafty" or "artsy" in the traditional sense of the words. Gardening and baking wouldn't be considered especially "crafty" but they are creating something.

Try sitting down with a notebook and jotting down all the things that you have created in your life(that you can remember). Is there a pattern or theme to your creating? Ask yourself what you loved creating the most on you list then go and create that some more. Good luck and I'd love to hear more about what you decide to create.

Anonymous said...

My dd's seem to have a lack of creative in the household affairs. But the one does now b/c she has a family of her own. DD2 is busy w/card making, scrapbooking & jewelry making. They both feel/felt the way you do. I guess I did too but did a lot more as a girl.

heidi said...

I don't have any creative mediums. LOL OK, my blog. Every once in awhile I try my hand at some DIY stuff, but I'm lacking in the skills dept. LOL

Nice entry!

Kaerlig said...

This is a nice post trachelle. I am not crafty in the traditional sense but I love gardening, writing, and reading. My real sense of relief comes from physical exertsion. I love releasing stress whether by doing yard work or jogging or whatever. That's not really creative...but it is my release. I like to appreciate the creative things that others can do but just do my own thing.

4 Nuts In A Basket said...

I love this post, Trachelle! It is so true for me! My creative mediums are mostly sewing and scrapbooking. I have no desire to do clothing, but I love making blankets and getting creative -- making my own patterns, etc. I tie quilts, not actually quilt them, but I would one day love to afford to own a machine to do that. I just don't have the patience to hand quilt...it takes months!! I completely understand the having to reign yourself in bit. I have noticed when I get really into a quilting project everything around me kind of falls apart -- nothing gets done. I guess with sewing, it's not as "immediatly satisfying" as one might like! A lot of times i do it in the evening when Spencer is home to keep the kids out of the danger zone, or during Zerins nap, and I let Gideon help where I can (handing me pins)

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

@ Kaerlig

Hmmm. . . when I talk about the soothing nature of creating I'm not really talking about stress relief. For me creating something doesn't necessarily relieve my stress but it gives me great satisfaction. Creating fulfills an inherit need in the nature of women to . . . well . . . create. I guess what I was trying to say is that lots of times being a mom can be frustrating because even though I have created and am growing something wonderful in my sons it's such a long-term "project" that it's sometimes hard to feel that sense of satisfaction. The shorter term creative projects of gardening or writing can fulfill that need and soothe me with satisfaction right now, even on the really really hard days as a mom when it feels like I'm a complete failure.

Now for stress relief I'll take a really good book with a piece of high-quality chocolate before bed. It works like a charm. I wish that running 6 miles did the same thing for me, but unfortunately it doesn't. *wink* Maybe I'll have to try practicing that some more, the running I mean, and see if I can adapt. *smile*

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I had not thought of this until just now..my craft times or times of inspiring makes me feel like I'm able to "see the finished" product where raising kids and nuturing tends to be left unseen until a final result of a lesson or even longer.
This would be why I like to do the side activities of crafting together stuff...because I know the end result will encourage me...hmmmm
Thanks for sharing!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

I totally agree with this post. I feel our creative nature is something inherent and divine. For me, being creative most is the most fulfilling and motivating thing I can do. Thanks for this!

I answered your question on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Katie The Lady said...

If I don't get my crafting and creative time, I go nuts- attacking small children in the streets, yelling curses at bypassers, you know, nobody is safe around me-hahaha! I thrive off of my alone creative time. My creative need is painting. I paint to relieve stress, when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I hate the world. I have to paint, even if it's using 33 cent acrylics on a wood board. That is what I do. I'm not good, or great, or anything special, but it makes my soul feel happy and it is just about the best thing I can do for myself.

You know, I always wanted to take a painting class, but never thought I would do well compared to other students. I regret not taking the classes in high school and college out of fear, but like you, as I have grown up and have gotten more comfortable in my skin, I'm not afraid anymore! I plan on returning to college to get my degree in Studio arts as soon as my kids don't depend on me every second of the day-hahaha! This is actually what I want to do with my life, career wise.

Thanks for this post, it was a keeper! I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs creative time, although I doubt I'll be bringing home any ribbons for my talentless paintings-hahaha!

Kristi said...

as i cut star shaped apples for the punch bowl i thought about your post. You are exactly right! We do have a natural drive / instinct to create...
Thank you for validating relief society centerpieces and crocheted kleenex covers. You are inspiring.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

What a lovely post. It does remind of of Deiter F. Uchdorf's talk at the General Relief Society meeting. I have always had a need to create during these past 20 years as a homemaker and mother. If it weren't for the create diversions I've developed, I probably would have gone crazy a long time ago! Thanks again for your inspiration, Trachelle! See you tomorrow.

Porter Family said...

Gee, I feel famous. You mentioned me by name.....love it! You should check out my friend's blog and you can see for yourself all her IGPs, instant gratification/satisfaction projects, but either way works. ;-) You can find her on my list of fellow bloggers. Her name is carot-tops are green. She's a hoot. Love you! And loved the post.