We had Asher's Joy School family Christmas party a little bit back and I was asked to bring a treat to share. These cookies are one of my favorites passed to me from my mama. They are so festive they invoke all kinds of nostalgia for me.
I love the brilliant red of these berries. It makes me smile and want to pop a few in my mouth. Too bad, they're too tart.
Sweet, but not too sweet, chewy oats, fresh tart cranberries. These are soft and cake-like and so refreshing with a bit of orange zest in the cookie and the lemon glaze on top.
I used frozen fresh cranberries and defrosted them in some warm water in the sink.
The frozen berries add a little extra moisture to the dough, so if you use frozen then defrosted berries I'd add maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of flour.
Fresh Cranberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 3 cups oats
- 2 cups fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries
Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions
- In a food processor or blender pulse cranberries until medium-fine. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except cranberries; mix well.
- Gently mix in cranberries.
- Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375* for 8 to 10 minutes or until rim of cookie is lightly browned. Don't over bake or they will be dry and hard.
- Brush on the glaze while still warm
GLAZE
Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice till smooth. Should be very thin like gravy. Add more or less sugar and lemon juice for right consistency.
Asher refused to wear a costume, but he agreed to sit by his dad and say "No room" as the innkeeper.
He also agreed to sing but only when it involved holding a bell and singing Jingle Bells.
Asher presented John and I with a glittered envelope containing the card he made us.
Zander graciously agreed to be Joseph when the other Joy School boys decided to follow Asher's no costume policy. Fun was had by all and the treats everyone brought were delicious! Thanks to Sharolyn for opening your home for the festivities.

























8 comments:
I remember those days...the best time was when I got to be Mary up on stage for some Christmas church program and Paul Rigg was Joseph. Talk about EXCELLENT! ( : hehehe. Your cookies look good! I love cranberries and orange (or any citrus, really) zest! love ya!
I was just thinking of those cookies! Thanks for taking the time to blog it. I'm so excited to make them. I'm runnin out tomorrow for the cranberries, orange and lemon! Wahoo! My mouth is a watering! Thanks...and thanks in advance for the pound I'm going to gain eating them. ;-)
Those cookies look. I'm going to have to try them. Thanks again for the cute burp clothes. (I loved the fabric you picked out!) Hey Trachelle I was wondering if you could e-mail me Taralee's address. I need to send her a card. ashleygower1@gmail.com
I'm going to try your cookies. They look delicious. I watched your house tour. I love the color of blue in your dining area and the where you hang your kids' art. Oh...and the Christmas decorations were very nice :) I have to admit that I got in the spirit of Christmas way earlier this year. I think some has to do with my kids but also checking in on other's lives through their blogs got me in the festive mood too.
I love my Asherbear and I want some of those cookies! They look oh so yummy!
I'm always looking for ways to use up my cranberry stash in the freezer and I'm looking forward to this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
How cute and boy do those cookies look yummy!
oh the memories i love those cookies yummie. our mom is the best mom ever
Post a Comment