Monday, December 22, 2008

Handmade Christmas



So this holiday season there has been a handmade movement all over the blogosphere and internet. I'm so glad that something I've always done is so in style now. *smile* Not all of my gift giving is or has been handmade, but every year I've done at least one or two handmade gifts. This year I was inspired to do a few more than usual. I thought I'd share the handmade gifts I've done for my boys this year.



The last few months Zander and Asher have been wearing one of our hooded bath towels on their heads as a makeshift cape to fight evil-doers with their "supa-dupa powurs." I thought that they might like to retire the hooded towels this Christmas in favor of some new personalized super capes.



I saw several styles around the internet and just free-handed a pattern with a felt monogram patch and fun bright color schemes.




Both Zander and Asher love to create. We have a large bin with all of our art supplies in it but it seems to always be a mess and it's hard for the boys to get to. I'm on the hunt for a nice wood armoire or cabinet to house all our crafting and creating supplies. But in the mean time I put together these art toolboxes for them. I used mod podge and scrap book paper to label them.


Then I filled them with Crayola Twistables, Slick Stixs and Flip-Top markers, a mini stapler, stickers, googly eyes, mini post its, pipe cleaners, glue, paper clips, etc. They are portable, easily accessible, and easy to put away. I suspect that amid the Thomas The Train engines and Lincoln Logs also slated as gifts for my boys, these two handmades will be the favorites. The whole process of searching for ideas and then creating them was so much fun for me this Christmas. I think next year I'll be trying more handmade gifts for my children.

What about you? Are you making any gifts this year for your loved ones?

This post is listed at :

12 comments:

Perry Family said...

Those are super great and creative! Way to go super mom!!

annies home said...

Those are great ways to save money and to give your children great gifts. I know that I will never forget the year my mother mad us purses out of placemats. These were so cool and I still have mine 21 years later

Chantelle said...

Cute! My mom made Jason a superhero cape (similar to yours) that we all wore at one point...it was VERY well loved. ( ; I make handmade gifts every year for friends/family--I will post the ones I've made this year later on my blog, but not till after Christmas since I don't want to ruin the surprise! ( : In the past, I think the jewelry I've made has been one of the biggest hits. The boys also loved the marshmallow "machine guns" I made last year...very cheap, easy, and a surprising success. Heheh.

Anonymous said...

What GREAT ideas! You asked on my blog if the fudge was easy to get out of the cookie cutters - from what I can tell it should be SUPER easy. When it was setting up, I was try to peel it off of the foil and it was trying to slide out then...you have to butter the cookie cutters before you put the fudge in them. (That is the only trick.)

Maybe I'll make a cape for my Kiddo for his birthday in March - boys LOVE capes, huh? :o)

Katie The Lady said...

I LOVE those capes! They are a great idea!! Now, If only I could sew in a straight line-hahah! I personally love handmade gifts, I just never have the money to buy materials, or motivation to creat such wonderful things! You have inspired me yet again!!

Carla said...

Your art bins are cool, and those capes are just too cool! I hope your three 'heroes' have a blast!

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

I also made a cap earlier this month for my friend's little boy on his first birthday. I also just made up the pattern. The one I made differs a little bit. I also made an apron for my sister and I will be making a cap for my nephew. I can't post pictures of my creations until after Christmas or my family might see. I love your creativity. I always wonder if others love creating things like I do. I love giving a handmade gift (if I can make time) it always makes that person feel special.

Kathryn said...

I love the capes! What a cool idea! You definately got whacked twice with the creative stick. I'm jealous. :-)

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

I almost forgot. I also made our Christmas ornaments this year. Check out our blog...just send me an email if don't already have access to our blog and I will add you to the list.

DairyQueen said...

Great ideas! I will have to pull our toolboxes out and make them cuter then fill them with all the art supplies my girls got in their stockings!

Glad I found your blog!

Derick and Becky said...

Love the capes! I can just picture my cute little nephews running around in them!

Sarcie said...

I love them, you are so stinkin creative. your capes turned out so cute i loved that you put there name on them