Wednesday, January 6, 2010

a new year, a new focus

photo by adjustafresh

I love the start of a new year. I love the idea of endless possibilities spreading out before me like so many red velvet game show curtains. Each one numbered in gold and waiting for me to choose. So many choices! Oh how I love the precious gift of agency given to us by a loving Heavenly Father.

Some times agency completely swallows me whole because of the sheer magnitude. But at the start of the new year any dust or grime that has gathered to overwhelm my ability to choose wisely is swept away and I am gifted with sparkly shiny new enthusiasm and gratitude for agency.



I've decided that a new tradition is in order for the start of a new decade. Something to help guide my choices, my agency in the coming year. Nothing too overwhelming(heaven forbid!) or complicated. Just short, sweet, and simple to remind me of the sparkly/shiny.

And so I am picking a word. A word for the year. A word to live by really. This is not a new idea, some of you may already do this. I first read about it at Clover Lane who originally read about it at Life(both great reads if you are craving more).


photo by Paula Wirth

My word for 2010 is Focus. Why? Because it quietly reminds me of two very important things: a) my priorities and b) what distracts me from them. If I were to add to that one word mantra it would become Enjoy My Focus. Why? Because "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."(2 Nephi 2:25) Remembering my priorities and finding or allowing myself to feel joy in them will be my Focus this year.

I have had too much practice being distracted lately. Distraction seems to be one of Satan's sharpest tools for foiling me. I don't want distractions to keep me from very important moments this year.

I have been to often waiting to feel joy about where I am right now. I am going to Focus more on being still and choose to feel joy right now.

I am going to practice being still and Focus on really listening. Listening to my children, my husband, and the Spirit.

I am going to take more time daily to Focus on gratitude. Gratitude for others and for all the ways Heavenly Father blesses me.

I am going to Focus more of my energy into causing happiness or joy for those within the circle of my influence.


photo by afrojet

In Gospel Doctrine class a few months ago we were discussing the difference between pleasure and joy. Someone commented that the difference is that pleasure is short-lived and something experienced by a single person. Joy is lasting and always involves and impacts others. Pleasure is mostly selfish and joy takes you outside of yourself.


photo by ecstaticist


As those thoughts sunk in it was a bit hard to breath cause it felt like the air was knocked right out of me. The truth of those thoughts then settled a bit and burned deep within me. It immediately changed how I had previously thought about happiness and joy.

I realized that those previous ideas about joy are one of Satan's great lies. An extremely pervasive lie that is widely excepted by our culture. With this increased understanding of joy I will sharpen my Focus and enjoy the process.

7 comments:

Perry Family said...

great post! enjoying the focus is such a great resolution!

[Stacia] said...

Well said! I too am going to use a word as my new year's resolution but haven't yet decided what...funny though, focus is one of the contenders! Good luck!

Shawni said...

Love it! That's so funny we're on the same track. I hope this helps us both out! Boy do I ever need it!
--Shawni

Sarcie said...

i love it too Trachelle and very well put, I need to work on all those things you mentioned thanks for taking the time to share those things with me

Kaerlig said...

Very nice- I like the way you think. Satan uses distraction and discouragement to lead us away from our potential. What is that quote about distraction? It doesn't have to be evil to be effective. So let's focus!

Unknown said...

TNewman....You made alittle teary eyed when I read that.Good thing I wore a hat today at work! I love the word you chose and the way you explained what it meant to you.It's so simple, yet so challenging to be...focused. I have never heard of making a word a new year's goal, but I'm going to think of one for me and get on it. I love your blog. It inspires me and I'm amazed at your creativity. You are really talented. I love and miss you -
T-cup

Unknown said...

TNewman....You made alittle teary eyed when I read that.Good thing I wore a hat today at work! I love the word you chose and the way you explained what it meant to you.It's so simple, yet so challenging to be...focused. I have never heard of making a word a new year's goal, but I'm going to think of one for me and get on it. I love your blog. It inspires me and I'm amazed at your creativity. You are really talented. I love and miss you -
T-cup