Tuesday, April 6, 2010

zander: 7 years young


Zander had a birthday while Yiayia was here.  He was so excited when he found out she would be here for his special day.  Zander got to pick the restaurant for his birthday dinner.  


His choice: IHOP.  I was quite surprised when he made that announcement because he's only been there once and it is not MY fave.  But I guess that is what happens when you let em exercise their agency muscles: they don't always choose what you would choose.  So I bit my tongue. 


It was quite lovely and Zander got a free ice cream sundae that made me smile. 




Then we headed back home for homemade carrot cake with maple cream cheese frosting(Zander's choice, that I heartily enjoyed for two days afterward).  


Zander is a builder at heart.  He builds people up.  He builds forts. He builds safe spaces to be and play for all the little ones under his influence. He builds Duplo RV's and honey factories.  


He builds contraptions to carry things and little brothers around in.  He builds relationships with family and friends like a boy far beyond his age.  He is a builder at heart and a builder of hearts. 


And so we got him tools.  Hammer, measuring tape, level, screw drivers, hand saw, safety glasses, a tool belt made by Auntie Sarcie, and swimming lessons from Gramnea and Papa Wes.  It was a quite a haul and he was delighted.  Thank you to all who love him so well and help him keep on building. 


I feel a bit odd about having a baby that is a year from baptism.  It makes me excited for all the possibilities ahead of him and a bit heavy with the responsibility of making sure he is prepared for that very important ordinance.  I don't look old enough to have an eight year old, anyway.  Right? 

*tap,tap*  This thing on? Right.

2 comments:

Derick and Becky said...

Ok when you say that he is a year away from being baptized, that is crazy! Oh I miss these boys! They are so darn cute. And my brother....gotta love him.

Chantelle said...

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. And I loved seeing all the pictures! I can't believe he's that old; I still somehow picture him as the curly-headed, soft-spoken little guy who brought me his drawings to look at. And how funny--I just gave a child @ the library that treehouse book not 20 minutes ago!