Thursday, May 22, 2008

You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone


So about two months ago our dryer dried it's last batch of clothes before dying a very slow death. My husband is quite handy around the house and after a few phone calls he got to work taking the the dryer apart. It turned out to be an expensive part that was broken and the repair would have to wait until we could set aside some funds. Enter: the drying rack. That's right folks we were stuck with the old-fashioned method of drying our clothes. Wow, was it slow. I had to go from doing all the washing for our family on Mondays to doing one load at night before bed so it could dry all night. Another downside? No more warm clothes fresh with tumble-dried softness. Our poor towels suffered the most, turning into crinkly rough shadows of their former soft and fluffy glory. Let me tell you, it's not very satisfying to wrap yourself in one of these crinkly babies after stepping out of the shower. This was our pattern and our laundry fate for almost 2 long months. To say the least I have become very grateful for modern conveniences in general and clothes dryers in particular. I've developed a healthy respect for all those tough pioneer women who washed their clothes by hand. The good news is that we are back in automatic clothes drying business. The day before John left for Seattle we got a new dryer. Thank goodness because it would have been very complicated to have no dryer with the Chief Manual Drying Rack Technician out of town for 6 weeks. (did I mention that my wonderful husband basically took over the laundry process for those 2 months?) Basically life is much easier now and I'm more grateful for my blessings.

5 comments:

Derick and Becky said...

Our washer broke a while back, that really stunk. It wouldn't agitate, just fill with water and spin. Finally Derick fixed it, but in the meantime I had to load up my whole car, trunk and seats, and head to the laundry mat! Not very fun!

Melinda said...

Yeah been there and still doing that. We don't have dryer hookups in our rental house (we do have a washer) so I've been doing the drying rack and clothes line for about a year now. I really don't mind but you definitely can't have only one day for laundry. We did do the laundromat for a while but it was getting expensive and hey, I've got all that glorious Florida sunshine. I had to put it to good use. But I'm glad yours is fixed now.

Katie L said...

Oh, that would be just so awful!!! Ours was broken for about 3 days, a while back, but it still tumbled, just didn't heat the clothes. I'm glad you are back in bussiness and that you don't have to suffer through anymore crinkly towels!!

Melissa said...

sorry about the washer!

curlyq said...

Arrgh...I've been there, too! I hate the hard towels and especially the carboard-y jeans. Ugh! That's so cool that John is such a good handyman and I'm glad you got a new dryer! hooray!