I think most women have a love/hate relationship with haircuts: they love em' when they turn out well and hate em' when they don't. I thought I'd let you in on a few secrets of the hairstyling world to help you be more of a lover and less of a hater.
Stylists and clients ideas of length are often two different things. Instead of using inches to measure length use your face and body. Don't say, "I want three inches taken off." Instead say "I want my hair to rest on top of my shoulders(or above shoulders or be between my shoulder and chin etc.) after it's been styled."

Using "general" terms with a hairstylist (like "just a trim" or a "few layers") is like handing them a creative license. Be very specific about what you want especially when building a relationship with a new stylist. List the things you don't want your hair to do as well as the things you do. Discuss the way you want to style your hair especially if it involves more than one technique like flipping it out one day and making it wavy another day. Visual aides (photos) are always your best tool for getting what you want.
Stylist's make money by doing as many heads as possible in one day. This can lead to hurried consultations and haircuts. Hurried consultation plus hurried haircut equals unhappy client. Booking the first appointment of the day gets you in the chair before the stylist has a chance to get behind. Also finding a stylist that doesn't overbook her/himself can be the difference between a good and bad haircut. Remember, busier isn't always better.
Sometimes the stylist does know best(not always, sometimes). After going to a stylist and building some trust you might be pleasantly surprised that a small change they suggest can make a good haircut a great one. And chances are if that stylist lets you know that your hair can't be styled a particular way (especially a celebrity style) it probably can't.
Stylists can forget to instruct when they are in "the zone." Ask lots of questions while they are styling your hair. Ask what products they are using. Ask what tools( blow dryer, curling irons, flat irons, round brushes) they are using and the techniques for using them. Ask questions at every stage and have them show you again if you don't understand. Besides what's the point of getting your haircut if you can't style it at home? Am I right or am I right?
I hope this tips are helpful to you. Is there anything I didn't cover? Questions? Comments? Talk to me, friends!
I'm also wondering what topics in style and beauty you would like to know about in the future. Any burning questions I could try to answer in later posts?

























11 comments:
Love it! I'm so glad to have such a stylish woman around. Thanks for the great tips.
Thanks Trachelle. Very helpful. I would like to learn how to cut my own kids hair but they behave so much better for other people.
I'm not for sure but I'm thinking those hands cutting the hair were your mom's. I might be wrong.
I love those cute boys! No cut for Tiernan yet...someday. Umm, teach me the best styles for thick hair, round face, mens receding hairline, little boy styles. How to make a babies hair grow. Most of all, HOW TO GET RID OF A COWLICK!!!
Great info, Trachelle. Here is a question. I'm looking for a good flat iron, what are your suggestions? Thanks! It was great hanging out with you the other day. I took my car in and of course it started working fine!!! Can't wait to see you all dolled up on Saturday!
Thanks Trachelle! Now, how can I get Brooke's hair to grow on the sides? I don't put the sides up very often because I don't want them to break off. So why don't they grow like the back and top do?!
Uh, yes! Those are good tips! I've been thinking about my hair lately because it's longer then it has ever been, and I just don't know what to do with it, or how to do long hair-hahaha!
Hey,
I cut Kira's hair this morning using these pics as a guide. I think I need more styling tips. Thank goodness for natural curl, it is very forgiving.
Hi Trachelle,
Thanks for the information on the post. I would love to learn more about some simple ways you would suggest to change up the "style" of the everyday hair.
You rock, lady!
Trachelle, That was a great style post, very well done!!! I agree with all you said, coming from one stylist to another. I am pretty sure that was Asher you were cutting?? He is looking alot like Zander and soooooo soooo soooo cute I just want to kiss his cheeks. i miss you and your family tons, can't wait to see you when these twins come!!!
Thanks for the great post! I started following the suggestions in the book Curly Girl as far as no shampoo and only conditioner but have yet to get my first post-curly-girl hair cut. I guess what I'd like to know is how do I tell a stylist that blow drying a curly girl's hair is completely detrimental to the hair and the girl? And how to get suggestions for styling that include more than just holding the hair back in barrettes?
@marigold
Thanks for stopping by. As for blow drying, I find that when used with a diffuser and the right products, a blow dryer is quite helpful. I don't recommend trying to make really curly hair straight with a blow dryer, of course, but a diffuser and product can tame frizz and enhance natural curls' shape and movement. Great questions, Marigold! I think that my next style post will be a photo tutorial for curly hair. Maybe that will help? Hope so. :-)
Post a Comment