The light clicked on and I left him to his work. I must say that I purposely didn't mention family or friends or anything that I might consider important to bring because I wanted this project to be authentic to my five-year old boy. I walked away wondering what two other toys he might choose to bring. Fifteen minutes later he called me back to show me his masterpiece . . .

He had chosen Legos, food, and his family. He told me that he wanted to play with Legos and that he had to have food on the boat to ya know *shrug* eat and that he needed his family because he would miss us too much if we didn't come. I think I must be a little

I don't know exactly why but I just felt so loved in that small moment. Fiercely loved by my little one and he didn't want to leave me behind. I also felt proud. Proud that maybe some of the things John and I feel are so important to teach our children are actually being taught and retained.

There is a sign above my front door that says - FAMILY: forever, for always, and no matter what. It's about priorities. About making our family our number one priority. I guess I just think it's darn cool that at such a tender age my little guy has got his priorities in pretty good order.

























11 comments:
I must be emotional too because it made me tear up as well. It is really cool that he would choose those things without prompting! It looks like you and John are doing a great job!
He is thoughtful and practical. I think those would be the three things I would bring too.
Hmmmm, makes me cry too, but for other reasons....like why can't MY kid be more sweet and thoughtful and occasionally, just occasionally, listen to me. So embaressed about his display today. He spent the rest of the evening in his room, ate dinner, and was in bed by 6:20pm. And maybe, just maybe he got a little whippin in the car. But we'll never know.
But for real, I'm happy for you. You are a great mom. I love those moments when it all seems worth it....even if they don't come often enough. ;-)
I LOVE those moments when your children express the love right back at you...last night I laid bryanna down for bed, she turned to me and said, "You are such a good mamma, mamma!"..."Thank you bryanna!"..."You take such good care of me mamma!"...and there went the flood gate!!! it wasn't just the words but her tone and facial expressions! Love our kids!!
you are a great mother Trachelle and I look up to you alotand learn alot from you, thanks for being my sister and freind, i miss you tons
How sweet! You must have been so proud that those answers came out without any "help"!
you might be passing the hormones along, I also got teary eyed. That little guy....
Also, I must comment on Zander's penmanship..very nice! He's really growing up.
Ohhhh, I miss my Zander! That is so cute! He is just growing up too fast and I haven't seen him in too long! That is so cute and I hope he brings it back home so you can scrapbook it! Doesn't it feel good when deep down you know that they love and appreciate you even though each day is a struggle!
Zander is a sweetie! I love that sign over your door. Where did you get it?
@ Melinda
I got the sign in Utah at Tai Pan Trading Company, it's a home decor store that sells Pier1 type stuff for a lot less. I always have to go there and Ikea when ever I go to Utah. My sister-in-law Becky introduced me to Tai Pan and it was love at first sight!
Aw, Trachelle, what a wonderful story! It's so sweet. I also love the little drawings he made to accompany each "item." Good for you for teaching him well.
Post a Comment